An air fryer replaces your deep fat fryer leaving you with moist and juicy fried food that is healthier, less oily, and contains 70 percent less fat. It uses temperatures of 390° to 400° Fahrenheit and only one tablespoon of oil. A fan circulates the hot air from the heating unit at the top of the air fryer cooking food quickly and evenly. Using less cooking oil saves you money, and the air fryer is easier to clean. With air fryers, you avoid heating up the kitchen, burns, fires, and the odor from overheated oil.
Deep-fat fryers cook food faster, but air fryers preheat quicker. So, air fryers save time. However, like deep-fat fryers, cook your food in batches.
Air fryers range in size from two to almost six quarts. You should buy a four-quart fryer for four people. Don’t buy a large fryer if you need it only occasionally. It will take up counter or cupboard space.
What Can You Cook in an Air Fryer?
You can use prepared frozen items or find recipes online for the following items.
- Chicken breast, wings, and nuggets
- Meatballs, pork, schnitzel, steak, and fish
- French fries and onion rings
- Potato, eggplant, kale, and apple chips
- Fried ravioli, egg rolls, and cheese sticks
- Nuts, seeds, chickpeas, and tofu
- Roasted garlic
- Cookies, brownies, and biscuit-dough donuts