Having healthy and hearty soup recipes on hand is usually a smart idea when the weather turns chilly. One of my go-to meals during the winter is this creamy homemade tomato soup!
- An onion of medium size should be chopped before being added to the soup pot.
- Grated garlic.
- All-purpose flour: To make the soup thicker.
- One 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes
- One 6-oz can of tomato paste.
- You will require 3/4 cup of heavy whipped cream.
- To taste, add salt and pepper to the dish.
- One parmesan rind is optional.
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook the onion and garlic: Melt the butter in a big pot over medium heat. Stirring regularly, add the onion, and cook until softened and just beginning to become transparent. About 30 seconds later, add the garlic and heat until barely fragrant.
- Broth and tomatoes are added once the heat is reduced to a low setting. While whisking gently throughout, add the flour and a splash of the broth. About 1 minute of cooking. Add the remaining broth, the tomatoes, the tomato paste, and, if using, the parmesan rind.
- Blend the Soup: With an immersion blender, blend up the soup until everything is smooth and well combined. You can also use a standard blender, but be sure to vent the top of the blender so that pressure from the hot soup doesn’t build up and cause some of the soup to burst out of the blender.
- Add Heavy Cream: Once the soup is well combined, return pot to stovetop over low heat. Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through.
- And there you have your tomato soup for the cold weather.